Who doesn’t like to create shapes and objects with soft playdough? This activity helps developing fine motor skills with pinching and smoothing the fingers to shape the dough.
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup salt
- 2 tbsp cream of tartar
- gel food coloring
- Pour the water and vegetable oil in a saucepan. Add in the flour, salt, cream of tartar and a teaspoon or two of gel food coloring. Lightly stir together to combine.
- *The dough will end up being about the same color that it is now, so add more food coloring now if you want the color to be richer/brighter.
- Cook the mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly. It should be done in about 4-5 minutes. Because you might panic and think you’ve ruined it, here is a breakdown of what it looks like throughout the cooking process:
- Minute 1: The mixture will combine, and look smooth and beautiful!
- Minute 2: You’ll start to get chunks. Make sure to keep scraping the bottom and edges of the pan to prevent any pieces from burning.
- Minute 3: This is where you might begin to worry that you’ve messed it up. Looks like a clumpy mess. Don’t panic! Just keep stirring!!
- Minute 4: The dough will start to form into a ball. You’ll know when it’s ready when it’s not sticky and pulls away from the pan. You can test by pressing the dough with your fingers. It will be hot!
- Remove the dough from the pan and place on a plate to cool.
- Once cool, knead the dough. This can be done by you or little helpers!
- To store, wrap the dough in plastic wrap and place in a sealed container.